Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dr. Zipper Q & A, Part I

Dear Dr. Zipper,

What are your favorite socks and tights? Is there a particular brand you like? I have been getting toe/ heel holes and need to up the quality....
Signed,
Toes Mahoney
***

Dear Mrs. Mahoney,
My favorite online shopping site for tights and socks of all varieties is tabio.com.
These come from Japan by way of the UK and are a bit pricey but the quality is unsurpassed. They have fabulous tights in every color and the shades are simply gorgeous – for example navy is a true, rich navy, not the color of Grover’s fur (sorry Forever 21, but you disappoint me). For solid colors, you can choose the denier you want. Denier (pronounced “den-yay”) measures opacity - with 20 being sheer and 100 being thick and opaque. I bought some sheer black polka dotted tights from Tabio and they are lovely – no pulls, tears and pills like the inferior version they sell at American Apparel. I am also lusting for these – but I digress.
Japanese women are also very into socks – knee socks, legwarmers and even tiny, little socks that you can wear under flip flops - like a g-string for your foot. Aside from the superior quality of Tabio’s products it’s great buying products that you likely won’t see on 45 other girls on the subway (like stuff you snag from say, Urban Outfitters).
For domestic, in-store shopping I think Hue has cute, quality affordable tights and socks. If you’re in New York, try Century 21 for high-end discounted options. I also check the socks at Nine West as they’ve often have great sales - I got some great silk blend knee socks for under $15 – these are great to layer over tights and wear with wedges or boots in the fall. For spring, you could throw your socks on with sandals or pumps and pair with a dress. Yes, it can be done (and the boys seem to like this look too). Que viva socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment