Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Urban Turban


Here is my grandmother's turban in front of the mural recently done by the authors of the Ulysses Guide to the Los Angeles River. Most times I see a turban it’s on some 40’s vamp in a silk robed dress alongside a pool in Bel Air. Recently, turbans have made a comeback in the high fashion world – Prada and Yves Saint Laurent have re-figured the chic head wrap on the runway and Salma Hayek wore one to fashion week in Paris last fall. But the catwalk is a stage and Salma is married to a man with Saudi Arabia money – so it begs the question: how does a normal gal wear a turban? I think this is a sensitive issue and it should be taken on a case-by-case basis. I’ve felt successful (albeit dangerously pretentious in appearance) wearing my turban with an old as shit white undershirt and a pair of J Brands. Maybe I’ll upgrade to a navy dress for a baby shower or brunch and just look plain fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment